Easter Peeps Mug Rug Tutorial
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share a commission.
Are you looking for an Easter scrap busting project? You’re going to love this fun Easter Peeps Mug Rug Tutorial. It’s the perfect little something extra to add to those Easter baskets!
The Easter Peeps Mug Rug an ideal Spring project. All you need are a few scraps and you’ll be good to go. This step-by-step tutorial includes FREE applique designs + instructions.
Let’s get started making the Easter Peep Mug Rugs!
How to Make an Easter Peeps Mug Rug
This site contains affiliate links which won't change your price. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
- Easter Peeps Template (FREE! See Step 1 below or find it in my Shop > Freebies section)
- Assorted Spring-colored scraps
- (1) 3” x 12” piece of Low Volume Fabric (See example here)
- (5) 4″ x 4″ pc. solid fabric in yellow, pink, lavender, light blue, and aqua
- (1) 9″ x 12″ pc. of fabric for quilt back
- (5) 3.5″ x 3.5″ Fusible Web
- (1) 9” x 12” piece of Fusible Quilt Batting
- (1) 2.5″ x 45″ Strip for Binding
- Matching Aurifil 50 wt. Cotton Thread or Superior Threads Mono-Poly Thread
- Sewing Machine
- Quarter Inch Foot for your sewing machine
- Water-Erasable Pen
- Wonder Clips or Sewing Pins
- Rotary Cutter with sharp blade
- Acrylic Ruler
- Self-Healing Rotary Cutting Mat
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Wool Pressing Mat
- Serrated Scissors (these are my favorite for cutting out applique)
Step 1: Get the FREE Easter Peeps Template
Get the FREE Easter Peeps Template download by clicking the pink button below. You’ll be taken to the Freebies section of my Shop.
Want an ad-free, printable copy of this tutorial? Scroll to the bottom of this post for more details!
Step 2: Piecing the Background Fabrics
Piecing together the background fabric strips is more art than technique. You will want to sort scraps into colors that are similar to the color of your Peeps. For instance, if using pastel colors for your Peeps, use soft colors such as blue, yellow, green, pink, lavender, and aqua.
Build rows one color at a time. Once the rows are built and attached, each row will be .75 (after all rows are connected on the mug rug).
- For each row, cut several fabric strips 1.5″ wide in a single color (such as pink) in a variety of lengths which can vary from 1.5″ to 3″. Note: The strip set will be trimmed down to 1.25″ after each row of strips is attached.
- Each finished row needs to be at least 13″ wide so make sure there are enough strips to equal 13″. Be sure to allow for seam allowances.
- Take the different strips from a single color and arrange in varied lengths. When the patchwork layout looks good, they are ready to be attached.
- Using a 1.5mm – 2mm stitch length, attach similar colored strips into a row that is at least 13″ wide. Press seams open. Set each row aside.
- Trim strip set down to 1.25″. This will clean up the edges and make it easier to attach rows.
- Repeat with the other five colors. Set strip sets aside.
- Set stitch length to 1.5mm – 2mm and attach (3) different colored strip set rows together using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Trim to 13″ wide.
- Press one seam up and one seam down. This will create less bulk when quilting
- Repeat with the other (3) different colored strip set rows. Set aside.
Step 3: Create the Quilt Top
- Take the two different colored strip sets and attach one strip set above the 3” x 13” piece of Low Volume Fabric and one colored strip set below it. Press seam allowances to the dark side.
- It’s not necessary to trim or even up the quilt top yet.
Step 4: Preparing to Applique
It’s time to prepare the Peeps applique designs.
- Print and cut out the Free Peeps Template (see Step 1 above). Cardstock is recommended.
- Trace (5) Peeps onto the paper side of the fusible web product.
Step 5: Cut out the Peeps
- Rough cut around each of the design elements leaving a 1/4″ margin.
- Place the rough or shiny side of the the individual Peeps onto the back of the Peeps fabrics.
- Use a hot, dry iron and fuse the elements to the wrong side of your fabrics. Let cool.
- Cut out each of the Peeps on the tracing line. Set aside until Step 6 .
Step 6: Applique the Peeps
- Evenly space the Peeps on the piece of low volume fabric. Start by placing the first Peep in the center and then evenly spacing the others on either side.
- Use a ruler and water erasable pen to mark exactly where the Peeps will be placed. This will keep them from shifting and help you visually maintain the placement correctly in case they shift when fusing to the fabric.
- Peel the paper backing off the individual Peeps one at a time. Then, one-by-one, fuse them to the low volume fabric.
- Remove water-erasable markings and let dry.
- Using either matching thread or Superior Threads Mono-Poly Thread, straight stitch or use a tiny zigzag stitch around each individual Peep.
- If desired, use a fine point Sharpie to draw on the eyes and nose. (see Free Template in Step 1) Be sure to test the Sharpie on a fabric scrap first. Set the ink with a hot dry iron using the highest setting. Note: The Sharpie ink will bleed if it gets wet before you set the ink with a hot dry iron.
Need more applique help. Watch this quick video
You will also need basic knowledge about applique. Watch this short video on how to applique or see my eBook Applique Made Easy.
Step 7: Making the Quilt
Time to quilt the mug rug.
- Make a quilt sandwich with the quilt top, batting, and quilt back. Be sure to leave at least a 1″ margin of batting and backing.
- Quilt in any manner desired. Something like an all-over meander design, straight stitching, straight grid, or diagonal grid all would work.
- Once quilting is finished trim away excess fabric and batting, then square your quilt to 7.5″ x 10.5″. Note: Be sure to evenly trim from top, bottom, and two sides.
Step 8: Binding the Quilt
- Choose binding fabric to make your mug rug stand out. Example: If using pastels, introduce a new pastel color for the binding.
- Cut (1) 2.25″ or 2.5″ x WOF Strips.
- Attach strips and press wrong sides together.
- Sew binding to quilt.
If you need help with binding instructions see my tutorial: How to Machine Bind a Quilt.
The Easter Peeps Mug Rug makes a great addition to any Easter basket and will be cherished long after all the Easter candy is eaten!
>>> Want an ad-free, printable version of this post? Click the pink button below and download the Printable PDF instructions.