Inside: Paleo Sandwich Bread
Since 2005 I have been searching for a gluten-free Paleo Sandwich Bread. I’ve blended flours, ground my own rice and corn, and used ground beans as bread ingredients. None of them ever came anywhere close to being something edible.
Paleo Sandwich Bread
Until now. Recently, I purchased Danielle Walker’s book, Against All Grain and tried her sandwich bread recipe. Finally, a bread that is moist, doesn’t dry out in five minutes, and doesn’t crumble into dust. Best of all, it is made from nourishing ingredients ~ and, that is what makes it so ideal.
I made a few changes to the recipe in the book that I think give the bread a slightly different flavor but keeps the great texture.
1. The recipe calls for Raw Cashew Butter. I had a jar of Almond Butter in my pantry and decided to use this instead. I am thrilled with the results. (FYI – Costco has the best prices on Almond Butter.
2. The second ingredient I substituted was the Almond milk for milk kefir that I made. Milk kefir is slightly effervescent and has a sourish flavor similar to buttermilk. I was hoping to give my bread a little sourdough flavor. I am happy to report that this substitution was ideal. I love the slightly tart flavor to the bread. It helps with the sweetness from the almond butter.
- 4 Eggs (separated)
- 1 C. Almond Butter (unsweetened)
- 1 T. Honey
- 2.5 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 C. Milk Kefir*
- 1/4 C. Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- Coconut oil for greasing pan
- *for Paleo, use Almond Milk
- Preheat oven to 300-degrees. Place a small dish of water on the bottom rack while oven heats. Don't skip this step. It really helps with the bread rising.
- Line the bottom of an 8.5" x 4.5" bread pan w/parchment paper. Grease sides of pan w/coconut flour.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks and almond butter in separate bowl. Add in honey, vinegar, and milk.
- Sift coconut flour, baking soda, and salt into mixture. Blend well, but don't over beat.
- Add in 1/4 C. of egg whites to mixture and blend until smooth. Add the remaining egg whites slowly and blend on low. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and put into oven.
- Bake 45-50 minutes. The top will be golden brown and a toothpick will come out clean when done.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Free bread from sides of pan and turn out onto cooling rack. Cool right side up at least an hour before serving.
Adapted from Against All Grain by Danielle Walker
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g