I’m ready to call my first learning how to make pants project finished. It started here as a New Year’s Re-SEW-lution. Adjusting the pattern and making a muslin went pretty well. Confidence is high ~ after all, I did sew two pairs of jeans that I regularly wear in public.
Sewing pants can’t be that difficult, now can it? My muslin fits nicely. Time to whip out the fashion fabric and get this project going.
I’ve reviewed the Craftsy classes (which includes the pattern), I’ve got my Vogue pattern traced. I’m ready to cut out my fabric.
a cheap, cheap, cheap an inexpensive khaki twill for my initial pair of pants. Am I glad I went the bargain fabric route. You can tweak a muslin until the cows come home, but you will not fully know how something is going to fit until it is constructed.
There are things I really like about this Vogue pattern and a few things I could live without. The first thing I recommend if you decide to take the Craftsy class and make these pants (I think I still have a link below on the right) is don’t topstitch the front or back center seams on your first pair of pants. This step is done early in the construction process and I had to rip out all of these stitches later in order to make a few adjustments. Until you have a perfect-fitting pants pattern, topstitching the center seams can wait.
The pattern has these little slit pockets just below the waistband, right over the center seam on the pant front. I’ll admit, they do look nice. However, on your first pair, skip the pockets altogether. The reason ~ the pocket sits right over that center front seam; if you need to adjust the seam allowance for a better fit, then that pocket will be in your way and you will not be able to make the adjustment. Lesson learned the had way.
The Waistband: In theory, this is an awesome waistband. It sits a little below the natural waist for a comfortable fit. It zips on the side with an invisible zipper for a classic look. Here’s where I ran into trouble ~ the pattern calls for the waistband to be interfaced. If you interface the waistband then the place where the waistband meets the pants is pretty thick. AND there is a zipper that must go over that spot.
Which brings me to my dilemma. I can easily zip up the pants until they hit that bulky spot, then I have to give it a really good tug. A.really.really. good tug. I don’t think I want to wear this pair of pants out in public just in case I can’t get the zipper up or, even worse, the zipper breaks. Next time I will skip the interfacing and just use stay tape. This is what I did on my jeans and I love the waistband on them.
Overall, I am calling this a hard won victory. I actually like the pattern and will likely make another pair of pants soon. I need to make some slight adjustments to my pattern, but overall I’m pleased.
I know I have a long way to go before I can claim I have a TNT (Tried ‘n True) pattern. This process reminds me of something I learned about gardening: You are no gardener until you’ve killed at least 1,000 plants.
Hmmm. I’m not sure how to apply this to sewing…but I’m willing to give it a try.