Inside: Gluten-Free Crock Pot Mongolian Beef
One of my favorite restaurant meals is P.F. Chang’s Mongolian Beef. And, it is gluten-free, so that makes it good for me. Right. Or, maybe not-so-right. I realized a short while back that just because something says gluten-free doesn’t necessarily mean it is healthy. There has to be a better way.
Time to make a nourishing Gluten-Free Mongolian Beef. And, while I’m at it, why not make it super easy, too.
Get out your crock pot because today’s recipe is a healthy Gluten-Free Crock Pot Mongolian Beef.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef skirt steak, cut across the grain into 1 1/2" strips
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3/4 cup Coconut Secret Aminos*
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar*
- 1/4 cup organic non-GMO cornstarch*
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 3 medium green onions, chopped
- Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Coat each piece of skirt steak in cornstarch by putting cornstarch and beef strips in a plastic zipper bag and shaking them up a bit. Place beef in the bottom of crock pot.
- Combine ginger, garlic, coconut aminos, water, sugar, and carrots in a bowl. Blend ingredients and pour over beef in crock pot.
- Cook in crock pot on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. The sauce will cook down and thicken. This enhances the flavor.
- Serve over rice with some steamed broccoli. Top with additional sliced green onions, if desired.
Some of you may wonder, “Leslie, why do you use so many coconut products? I don’t want my food to have a coconutty taste?“
The coconut aminos are gluten-free because they are not fermented using wheat. Because they come from coconuts, they do not contain any soy. Soy is one of the most genetically engineered foods around and I like to stay away from it. And, the aminos taste just like soy sauce, minus the soy, minus the sodium, and minus the wheat.
Coconut sugar is a low glycemic sugar alternative. It is unrefined, grown without pesticides, and is GMO-free. It tastes similar to brown sugar which makes it perfect for this dish.