A while back I posted aboutmaking a sewing machine coverout of my scraps. I really do love this cover and it is a piece of sunshine in my little sewing corner of the world.
This, of course, has now created a slight dilemma with my serger which is usually covered in this ugly, plastic cover…
…or it just sits around, naked to the world.
Neither is a great option. Also, there is the dilemma of my ever-growing stash of scraps from apron-making. I think that these scraps mate and then reproduce. I know I don’t have that many scraps.
Here’s what I did:
I measured the front of my serger, over the top and down the back and came up with a measurement of 34″. I, then, measured across the top, from side to side and came up with 16″. So, in order to turn the above pile of randomly cut scraps into something useful, I cut them into various squares and rectangles and just started stitching them together with a 1/4″ seam until they measured approximately 16″ Wide x 34″ High. Once the cover had reached the correct size, I cut a single piece of fabric for the back that was approximately 17″ x 35″. Lastly, I found a scrap of Warm and Natural batting and sandwiched it between the top and bottom. I pinned all three layers together.
By this point in the day it is about 107 outside (I’m serious!) and my sewing studio is starting to warm up. So, instead of getting really detailed in my quilting, I go with something simple. I pull out my Wave Edge Ruler and start marking wavy lines that are 1″ apart using a water soluble marker. I used the narrower curve of the wavy edge for this.
Then, I just started stitching down the curvy lines. I didn’t do such a great job…did I mention it was hot in my sewing studio.
Once I was done quilting, I trimmed off the excess and squared up my edges so the cover wouldn’t be all wonky. Since I didn’t want to sew on wet fabric, I chose to wait until I was finished to remove the water soluble markings.
Next step: Prepare the edge binding. I did this by measuring all four sides and adding 10″ to this number. I cut several strips of fabric that were 2.75″ wide. Since I needed about 108″ I needed to piece these strips together. I did this by setting two strips together as seen above and stitched across at a 45 degree angle.
Next step: This is so obvious, but trim the excess from connecting the strips.
Doesn’t that look nice. Now, fold the connected strips of fabric lengthwise, wrong sides together.
On the back of the serger cover, pin the raw edge of the binding to the raw edge of the cover. Stitch together using a 3/8″ seam. Do a traditional mitered edge at each corner. If you’ve never done this, just look on Youtube where there are several great videos. When you’ve gotten back to the starting point, fold back the raw edges and stitch down. Fold over the clean edge to the right side and press with a steam iron. Pin in place.
You will need four ties in order to keep your serger cover from slipping off when you aren’t there. Cut 2 pieces of fabric 1.5″ x 36″. Stitch lengthwise using a 1/4″ seam and turn (I like to use the Dritz Loop Turner for this). Press with steam and then cut them in half so you have 4 ties. On each of the four sides of the serger cover, pin the ties inside the folded edge of the binding 6.5″ from the top/bottom edges.
Usually, at this point, I dab small amounts of Unique Stitch Fabric Glue to the underside of my binding. I then let it dry for about an hour. This time I used a new product, Sewline Fabric Glue Pen. No drying time needed. I then stitched down the binding using a running zigzag stitch, but a regular zigzag or straight stitch works just fine.
Remember the pesky blue lines, I removed them using a squirt bottle of water – or you could toss your cover into the washer if you are really picky – which, clearly, I am not.
So, friends, that’s all there is to it. It’s cute, it’s useful, and my scrap pile is now a little bit smaller.
(Note: I have not been compensated in any way for mentioning specific products. These are useful products that I use in my own sewing.)